Sunday, March 16, 2008

The Beauty of Photography

I recently came back from visiting the Vancouver Art Gallery where the show TruthBeauty: PIctorialism and the Photograph as Art, 1845 - 1945 is currently being exhibited till April 27th of this year. As I wandered around the main floor of the gallery I was in awe, there before me were prints by Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Alfred Stieglitz, Edward Steichen, and many others, the range from print mediums are impressive with just a few to list here, bromoil, platinum, carbon, silver gelatin, you name it. I have long been interested in the history of photography and indeed one of the reasons that I love using the view camera so much is because the of historical significance of the camera and the fact that I able to combine it with modern day computer and ink jet print technologies. The show made me think of my own direction in photography and how I had left behind my silver gelatin printing and I am no doubt that I am on the right road with my computerization of images and ink jet output of those images.


The image posted is of Lake Cowichan on Vancouver Island, May of 1990, 300mm lens, 4 x 5 view camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, why do you think you're on the right path with computer and ink jet versus silver technology? Are you getting higher quality than when you were in the darkroom? Or is its just easier?