Friday, June 23, 2006

The Magical Kludahk Forest

I made this image of the forest along the Kludahk hiking trail on Southern Vancouver Island on a pleasant fall day in 2005 while hiking with other family members. The trail is very beautiful with ancient old trees and stunning views of the Juan de Fuca straight. When I made the picture my eye was drawn by the back lighting filtering through the trees giving me a nice tonal range for black and white, with autumn lighting pretty well anytime during the day is a fine time to make pictures. For me the fall season is one of my favorite times of the year to make pictures, the majority of my shooting trips takes place in September and October, the light seems to have a magical quality to it and the trees and foliage with their brilliant colors adds another dimension to my black and white images in terms of tonal range. The picture was shot on 4 x 5 Tri-X film with my Tachihara view camera and a 120mm lens.

No comments: