Sunday, June 25, 2006

My Upside Down and Backwards Point of View

I thought I would take one of my images and present it upside down and backwards, just the way I saw it on my view camera's ground-glass when making this picture on Mayne Island in October of 2004 with my 8 x 10 view camera, at the bottom of this post is the image right side up and reversed. I have to say that when I first started shooting with view cameras about 20 years ago it took me a while to get used to composing an image this way but it also forced me to try and think in my mind's eye what my composition should look like. I think the upside-down-backwards image is very beneficial to composing a photograph, because I look at the various elements in the scene in a abstract sort of way. It has been said that to help painters with their composition that they should turn their paintings upside down, my images from the view camera are naturally upside down which gives me a unique point of view.

No comments: