Friday, March 12, 2010

My Camera Gear ( Part Three )

I have gone partially digital with some of my camera gear and I like it. Along with the large format gear I had been using a medium format camera, at one time I owned a Hassleblad system, which got sold, after that I bought a Fuji GSW 690 rangefinder camera ( 6 x 9 cm images on 120 film ) with a non interchangeable 90 mm lens, it was like a giant Leica with range finder focusing, the focus was very accurate, I thought it was a very nice camera. After seeing how good the image quality was from the Nikon D300 I use at work, I sold the Fuji last year, was mainly using the Fuji to take pictures of family and friends, I have now replaced that with a Nikon digital D90 camera, with that for lenses I have a couple of lenses, a 24mm and a 50mm prime lens, I like the combo. The image quality from the D90 is as good as anything I was getting from my medium format Fuji, but keep in mind that I don't have a high end scanner to scan medium format negatives beyond a 5 or 6X enlargement. I much as I like the quick response of the digital, I still find the large format more inspiring to use when it comes to making my more serious landscape images, all in all what ever camera I am using I am having fun!

The above picture was taken near Keremeos, B.C., in October of 2009, Nikon D90 and a 18-70 mm lens at the 55mm setting.

1 comment:

David Mannion said...

Wonderful image. I have been looking at your site for a few years, and sometimes feel a bit flat - the images are great, just sometimes the monochrome and the 'looking back' subject matter leaves me feeling 'philosophical', which is I guess in line with your intent. Anyway, the gold trees just enliven things, and I am pleased you are having fun with the nikon. Thanks.