Monday, May 22, 2006

The Transformation Tool

The tools in the picture along with this post was taken with a 4 x 5 view camera and a 120 mm lens in my Uncle Stuart's garage in Metchosin on Vancouver Island, he uses them to make things out of metal and wood, an artist in his own right. I have written in a previous post about the tools of my photography, I think one of the greatest photographic tools to come along in the later half of the twentieth century is Photoshop.

As a staff photographer for the Kelowna Daily Courier I have used Photoshop since 1994, but it was not until two years ago that I gave serious consideration to using this creative software tool in my personal photography that like I do on my time off. I have to admit that it has completely changed how I create my images after I have made my exposures because it has allowed me to take the developed images in the form of large format negatives and transforming those scanned images by lightening and darkening exact areas on the computer and to finalize the vision that I had in my mind's eye into beautiful prints.

No comments: