Friday, November 22, 2019

Cartoonist, Ben Wicks tries log birling


Here is some interesting information about this photo that I made during the log birling event at All Sooke Days on Vancouver Island in 1977. I recently found out through Facebook sharing that man on the right is the well-known cartoonist, Ben Wicks (1926-2000) and the woman on the left is Sue Scott. I made this photo while working for the Goldstream Gazette from 1976 to 1979. I don't recall if I ever got their names. The photo and others were part of my Goldstream Gazette newspaper portfolio that was lost and found again decades later. Thanks to researcher Janice Mason who shared the original post with the Facebook group Hwy 14 History.

All Sooke Days (No. 8) Sooke, British Columbia, Canada, July1977. Copyright © Gary Nylander. 35mm film image. Nikon F camera and 105mm lens, Kodak Tri-X film.

No comments: