Sunday, January 29, 2017

The inspiring view of Moraine Lake



I sat on the rock pile with my 4 x 5 view camera back in September of 1987, taking in the spectacular view of Moraine Lake in Banff National Park. The last of the summer sun beamed through fleece-like clouds illuminating pockets of make-believe diamonds on the lake surface. It was a tranquil scene and I was one of only a few people on that particular day to witness the amazing beauty. I felt blessed and in awe.
The rock pile gives an elevated view of Moraine Lake, which is glacial-fed lake which crests in late June, and is a favourite spot for photographers and other artists to visit. Back when I made my picture, there were not as many trees around to obstruct my view and there were far fewer people, I recall that it was only myself and a couple other people enjoying the view, parking was not a problem.
Over the years I have paid many visits to Moraine lake and surrounding area, it its truly a idyllic gem in the middle of the Rockies, and one of the most popular spots to visit in Banff National Park. This view inspired me to write my artist statement which I present here:

 It's been said home is where the heart is. My "home" is Canada. One day while photographing from atop a large rock pile at the end of Moraine Lake in Alberta's Banff National Park, I gazed upon the beautiful scene before me, spectacular jagged mountains backlit by the late-afternoon sun filtering through high puffy clouds, the illuminating sun creating millions of sparkle like jewels on the lake — the scene was simply breathtaking. 

I knew right then there was no other place I wanted to photograph. I had found my passion and I didn't have to travel thousands of miles to some exotic distant land to find what I had been seeking. It was right there before me. I'm quite at home in the visual world. For me, it's the best way I know to express my interest in the world around me, to capture the magic and the soul of my subject, something much deeper than what first appears on the surface. Much of my artistic drive and what I do also comes from my curiosity to explore the world around me and to see "what is out there". 

I have tried to capture with my camera a sense of beauty, however fleeting it may be, I offer through my photographs what I feel is a reflection of our world and hope that my work will engage viewers to reflect upon their own place in the world.

No comments: