Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Art of Change



Here are some of my thoughts on how I print and the changes that I have experienced in the past couple of years as I went from making prints with photographic black and white print paper in a darkroom where I was content to while away the hours hovering over trays of developer, stop bath and fixer to making prints from the same negatives scanned into a computer and printed using an ink jet printer using various kinds of fine art papers.

One of the things that I really like about printing digitally is the amount of creative control that I can achieve by using photoshop , I can enhance selected parts of the overall image, lighten or darken certain areas, I can also zoom in on the image and clone out all the annoying dust marks. As an artist I feel I can produce more accurately what I saw in my "mind's eye" as to how the finished print should look. I have posted couple of my images, one scanned digitally and the other printed in the darkroom, each print has its only unique characteristics.

No comments: